The location that current day Wrigley Field sits upon was once home to the Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary, with the Hildebrandt Coal Factory across the street. The block that contained Clark, Addison, Waveland and Sheffield Streets had been inherited by William Passavant, a prominent Lutheran missionary. Passavant began to develop the land as early as 1868, including building St. Mark's Church in 1874. He helped establish the Chicago Lutheran Seminary on the site in 1891.
|Chicago Lutheran Seminary - Circa 1895|
Professional baseball once first played on the site in 1914 when the Federal League's Chicago Chifeds moved from DePaul University to the newly constructed Weeghman Field. Weeghman Field was a modern steel and concrete baseball park that featured a single-decked grandstand roof behind home plate and around to left field. The original dimensions were quite cozy -- 300 feet to a brick wall in right field and a left field that featured two old seminary buildings at about the same depth with wood fencing. The stadium sat a total of 14,000 fan but it was not unusual for there to be thousands of fans on their feet in the outfield. In 1915, the team's name was changed to the Chicago Whales who won the championship. Today's Wrigley Field is the last remaining Federal League stadium in existence.
|The view down the left field line at Weeghman Field|
Bruce has worked in educational technology for over 18 years and has implemented several 1:1/BYOD programs. He also has served as a classroom teacher in Computer Science, History and English classes. Bruce is the author of five books: Sands of Time, Towering Pines Volume One:Room 509, The Star of Christmas, Philadelphia Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel and The Insider's Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel. Follow Bruce's Novel releases by subscribing to his FREE newsletter!
Be sure to check out Bruce's Allentown Education Examiner Page, his Twitter and his Facebook!