Saturday, May 24, 2014

#SampleSunday from Philadelphia Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel

This Sample Sunday is from Philadelphia Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel. Philadelphia Story has been a Top 10 Hard Boiled Detective Novel on Amazon and is available via:
Paperback
Amazon Kindle
B&N Nook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The thumping of the bass and the glare of the lights was terribly distracting but I had her eyes locked on mine and I wasn’t letting them go.  Not this time, not again.
“Let’s go, Carolyn.”
“You let go of me, Carter.  You let go of me now!  You don’t own me.”  She dangled her hand in front of my face.  “There’s no ring on this finger, you can’t tell me what to do.”  My mind was racing, my blood was pumping and I couldn’t get the image of her on that stage out of my mind.  But there she was, standing in front of me in a pair of satin and lace panties with a matching bra.  The lace negligee danced around her tanned skin giving the alluring illusion of cover and  nudity at the same time.
“Carol, these people are dangerous.  They don’t screw around… is this the life you want?  Come on… we need to get you out of here!”  Her gaze was as fiery as ever and I could feel those baby blues penetrating the back of my skull like a laser.  “Now, dammit!”  I reached out and grabbed her arm.
“Let — GO!”  she screamed and jerked her arm free of my grasp.  I was reaching to regain my grasp when an extremely large black man that would make Ving Rahmes shudder blocked my view of Carolyn.
“Is there a problem here, muthfucka?”  he growled in my direction.
“Fuck.  You!”  I spat back at him.
“I think you gonna find you getting the fuckin’ round here… muthfucka!” He spat the words out at me.
“I think you might find me kicking your ass… mutha fucka.”  I had properly enunciated those last two words just at the time his big meaty hand found my jaw.  My feet left the ground and I was sent reeling backward into a table.
Knock! Knock! Knock!
I was jolted awake from my horrible dream by the rapping at the door.
“What the... how...?”  I sat up on the couch, looking around the room frantically.  After a minute I had surmised I was in my apartment on my couch.  And the only person here was the lovable fluff ball Copper trying to sleep under my desk on the far wall of the living room.
Bang! Bang! Bang! “Hello, delivery…”  Bang! Bang! Bang!  “FedEx!  I need a signature!”


Philadelphia Story has been a Top 10 Hard Boiled Detective Novel on Amazon and is available via:
Paperback
Amazon Kindle
B&N Nook

~~~~
Bruce has worked in educational technology for over 17 years and has implemented several 1:1/BYOD programs.  He also has been a classroom teacher for various subjects.  Bruce is the author of five books: Sands of TimeTowering Pines Volume One:Room 509The Star of ChristmasPhiladelphia Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel and The Insider's Story: A Lance Carter Detective Novel.  He also has a new novel coming out in June 2014, The Kill Commission.  Follow Bruce's Novel releases by subscribing to his FREE newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment